To provide guidance once an award is received and executed including:
RA - Research Advancement Administrator
AMT - Award Management Team
FP - Funding Proposal
IFAS - Integrated Financial Account System
OCFR - Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations
ASU - Arizona State University
ASUF - Arizona State University Foundation
ATF - After the Fact
ORSPA - Research Operations
PI - Principal Investigator
PNT - Proposal and Negotiation Team
ResOps - Research Operations
KED - Knowledge Enterprise Development
For definitions, see Acronyms and Glossary page.
For guidance on these topics, see the Pre-Award tab of this site.
What is the path from award to account set up?
There are two ways an award notice typically arrives:
- Sponsor sends notice of award/agreement OR check/deposit/transfer directly to ASUF (per ASUF cover letter).
- Award/Agreement or check goes to PI and RA forwards to OCFRgrants@asu.edu with a copy to Shaun Brenton.
- ASUF will review and engage ASU on clauses, as appropriate.
- ASUF negotiates and accepts the award.
- ASUF sends a copy of the notice of award or agreement to email@example.com.
• If only a check or wire transfer was provided, ASUF will send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org stating the amount of funding, IFAS account number, and ERA FP number.
- AMT activates account.
When AMT sets up the account will it be for the full amount of the award?
Yes, AMT sets up the account for the full amount.
If award or check received by PI/Unit/RA where should these be sent?
Awards/Agreements and checks should be sent to OCFRgrants@asu.edu. Note the FP number.
Do RAs need to set up accounts on the ASUF side?
No. ASUF handles the Integrated Financial Accounting System (IFAS) account setup.
Do RAs need to do anything on the ASUF side to effect the transfer of funds from ASUF to ASU?
No. Cash Management (CMT) has the ability to draw funds directly from the IFAS accounts and post to the ASU sponsored account.
What steps should be taken if changes are needed to the account/award?
- Research Operations/ORSPA will follow up with funders, submit award change requests (i.e. no-cost extensions, rebudgets), and submit financial reports and progress reports directly to funders with the exception of donors that are to be contacted by ASUF only.
- ASUF approval is not required on report submissions or change requests; however, they would like to be copied at OCFRgrants@asu.edu. To request award changes, use the ORSPA Action Form.
What steps should be taken when new or additional funds are received for a charitable grant where ASUF is the awardee?
If ASUF receives the funds:
- ASUF checks ERA Grants to verify a proposal for the award exists.
- If there is a proposal, ASUF processes the new funds; reviews award documents if any, contacts ASU's Pre-Award Services and donor as needed, obtains signatures if needed, and sends email to email@example.com for the account once the award is final.
- If there is no proposal, ASUF reaches out to the unit to initiate one. If ASUF isn’t sure who the unit is, they may reach out to Research Advancement Services (RAS) for assistance. Once there is a proposal in ERA, ASUF processes the new money; reviews award documents if any, contacts ASU's Pre-Award Services and donor as needed, obtains signatures if needed, and sends email to firstname.lastname@example.org for the account once the award is final.
If ASU receives the funds:
- Email OCFRgrants@asu.edu and Shaun Brenton of the notice of award or that a check has arrived at ASU.
- Research Operations checks ERA to verify a proposal for the award exists. If a proposal exists include the ERA proposal number in the email.
- If a proposal does not exist inform ASUF that an ERA proposal needs to be initiated. ASUF will reach out to the unit to initiate it. If ASUF is not sure who the Unit is, they may reach out to RAS for assistance.
- Once a proposal is in ERA, ASUF processes the new funds; reviews award documents if any, contacts Research Operation's Pre-Award Services and donor as needed, obtains signatures if needed, and sends email to email@example.com for the account once the award is final.
- If Research Operations receives a check, Research Operations will deliver the check to ASUF.