Report an accessibility problem

Research Incentive Distribution (RID)

Last updated: 11/04/2020 - 12:14pm

What is Research Incentive Distribution (RID)?

Research Incentive Distribution is the portion of the F&A revenue ASU recovers from sponsored grants/contracts that is returned to colleges and centers.

Are RID and IIA the same?

No.   They are wholly separate programs.  RID is the portion of F&A returned to colleges and centers.   IIA (Investigator Incentive Awards) is the portion of F&A which is returned to the investigators.

How much RID is distributed to the college/center?

20% of the actual F&A recovered on account expenses are returned to the colleges.   If the ERA funding proposal's SmartForm 1.2.1 (Lead Unit, Investigators & Allocations) indicates an approved center’s involvement, then 4% may be distributed to the center with the balance of 16% going to the college.

Who decides the percentage of F&A Revenue that will go back to the college/center?

The formula for calculating available RID (and IIA funds) is determined by the Office of Knowledge Enterprise Development (OKED).

When are RID funds distributed to the college/center?

Half of the funds due to the college/center are automatically distributed weekly and at month-end.   The balance is provided in late summer/early fall, following reconciliation of the fiscal year just ended.

Do all centers receive RID?

No.  Only those approved to receive RID are eligible.   Approval to establish a center RID account is jointly decided by the college dean and OKED.  There are times where a decision is made not to have RID go to the center.   In that case, the account will be set up and used solely for recognition and the 4% which would normally go to the center will default to the college’s RID account.

What's the process for centers wanting RID?

The center director will need to work with their dean to have a center approved to receive allocations. Once this is approved, the center will need to set up a local account dedicated to RID and notify OKED Finance so the appropriate adjustments can be made.


Where is the RID posted?

Colleges (and each Center approved by OKED and the dean to receive RID) have their own local account dedicated to this purpose.   RID accounts all have fund numbers starting with 549X:

RID Fund Code









Downtown/Extended Campus

What are the steps for setting up a new account?

For a center to receive RID, obtain approval from the dean of the host college, request a unique HR code, and then set up a local account specifically for RID (see table above for the appropriate campus fund number). Once this is in place, contact OKED Finance at OKED.RID@ASU.EDU and they will enter in the RID allocation percentage and account number in Coeus. Unless and until these steps are complete, the RID will go entirely to the college.

How does OKED know which college/center should receive RID?

The information resides in Coeus and is derived from the allocation percentages on the ERA funding proposal's SmartForm 1.2.1 (Lead Unit, Investigators & Allocations), which faculty, chairs and deans agree upon at the time of proposal submission.

Can the allocations be changed?

Yes.  To request allocation changes, follow the Internal Allocation Change section of the WI-EP-130 work instruction to create and route an Investigator Allocation Change in ERA Awards.  If the change is as a result of a person leaving the university, that person's signature is not necessary.  The year-end RID reconciliation transfers will use the current allocations in Coeus at the time the report is done and apply those percentages to determine the funding allocations for the entire fiscal year.

Can I request retroactive allocation changes?

All RID allocations are based on the fiscal year in progress.  Distributions from prior fiscal years will remain unchanged.

Are there restrictions on how a college/center may use the RID funds?

No.  RID is intended to further research activities in the colleges/centers.  OKED does not place any special restrictions on the use of RID funds.   However, all university rules for expenditure of funds must be followed.

What if a college/center wants to make an allocation to a unit of PI?

Distributions provided to units in the colleges are not monitored by OKED. The colleges are responsible for further distributions to the units and investigators.

Which grants/contracts generate RID?

F&A Recovery Type

Explanation of Recovery Type



Full recovery**

Uses the rates stipulated in the rate agreement with DHHS



Limited recovery (Federal)

Uses a rate in a program announcement which is different from the rate agreement with DHHS



Limited recovery (Non-Federal/Charitable)

Uses the published rate of the sponsor and differs from the DHHS agreement



Waiver of F&A (Federal/Non-Federal/Charitable)

ASU has granted a full or partial reduction in the amount of F&A being charged to the sponsor



No recovery of F&A

ASU receives no F&A from the sponsor



**For the definition of full recovery on charitable grants, see the F&A Rate Memorandum dated February 5, 2014.

Was this page useful?