Preparing a checklist
RA - Research Advancement Administrator
PI - Principal Investigator
PNT - Proposal and Negotiation Team
FAR - Federal Acquisition Regulations
T&Cs - Terms and Conditions
IP - Intellectual Property
F&A - Facilities and Administrative Costs
ERA - Enterprise Research Administration
WI - Work Instruction
DP - Develop Proposal
For definitions, see Acronyms and Glossary page.
Prepare Proposal Checklist
1. RA will prepare a checklist (see optional sample proposal checklist) which notes proposal requirements and identifies the responsible party (e.g. PI, RA, or other persons). Items to take particular note are listed in the Review of a Funding Announcement Guide, including but not limited to:
- FAR clauses, other terms & conditions (T&Cs) and/or representations and certifications (e.g. non-compete clause, Intellectual Property (IP), Small Business, etc.). Also see Request for Execution of Certificate of Current Cost or Pricing Data Job Aid.
- Nonstandard signatures required (e.g. Provost)
- F&A outside ASU’s standard policies
- Mandatory cost sharing
- Classified documents use
- Publication restrictions
- Foreign national worker restrictions
- Infrastructure support requirements
- Special facility requirements
Flag these requirements for the PI and immediately upon creation of the FP (Create and Route FP)
3. RA will share the checklist with all persons (PIs, Project Managers, etc.) involved in the proposal development. While not required, it is recommended that the RA upload a copy of the checklist to ERA, as follows:
- For Grants.gov and NSF Submissions:
- On the Research Plan and Reference Attachments smartform, in the field for Internal Reference Attachments
- For Non-Grants.gov, Non-NSF Submissions:
- On the smartform 1.4.2 Funding Opportunity Announcement, Question 6.0 General Submission Documents
4. RA will also provide investigators a link to the Research Academy’s faculty track lesson: How to Get Research Funding. Here investigators will find information related to technical proposal preparation.
5. RA will continue to Create and Route Funding Proposal.