Arizona State University supports academic freedom and the exchange of ideas and collaboration with foreign partners to advance knowledge. We are committed to supporting collaborations with international partners, faculty and researchers from all over the world. It is of great importance for us to maintain our productive relationship with the United States Government and the federal funding agencies that support our faculty in their research and scholarly work.
ASU faculty and staff who have such collaborations are required to be transparent and provide full disclosure of all funded and unfunded collaborations and affiliations as required by federal and state agencies, as well as ASU’s policies.
Federal funding agencies continue to share concerns regarding failure to disclose foreign relationships and activities, which could jeopardize funding eligibility. Many of the federal agencies have released further guidance and we should expect this information may continue to change. We will be providing regular updates, guidance and resources to keep the ASU Research Community up to date and as a reminder of our compliance obligations.
This comprehensive approach will help support consistency, transparency and compliance among our faculty and staff, and will help to meet the requirements of our federal funding agencies.
Best practices for foreign relationships and activities
- To fully and accurately disclose domestic and foreign engagements to ASU, including equity interests in foreign entities and/or if you need to update your conflict of interest financial disclosure, contact ASU Research Operations at Research.Integrity@asu.edu.
- Obtain restricted party screening of foreign collaborators and including foreign visitors. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- As you are developing your proposal include a clear description of all foreign collaborations
- Review your active awards and pending proposals to ensure all locations outside of the United States have been disclosed to the federal agencies and ASU.
- Ensure that any material transfers, data sharing and confidential information are covered by an agreement. Contact the Industry Agreements Group (IAG) at email@example.com should you need assistance with the development of an agreement.
- Be aware of and follow peer review regulations, including confidentiality provisions related to the content provided during the review.
- Obtain export control review for incoming and outgoing collaborations, including traveling abroad and international requests – whether funded or unfunded. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions should be directed to email@example.com.
Inquiries from external funding agencies related to international engagements or requests for institutional endorsements such as letters of support should be directed to Research Operations Executive Director, Heather Clark at Heather.Christina.Clark@asu.edu.