On eligible projects, for postage to qualify for a CAS exception one or more of the following statements must be true:
- The scope of work/research requires that postage be used for mailing out surveys, participant letters, etc.
- Postage is necessary to complete the goals of the project.
- Postage is required at amounts significantly greater than the routine amounts of postage provided by academic units.
If none of these statements are true, then the expenditure does not qualify for a CAS exception.
If one or more of these statements is true, then a CAS exception may be allowable.
The budget justification must include all of the following:
- An explanation as to the purpose of the postage and why it is necessary to complete the scope of work.
- For projects that require postage for mailing out surveys or letters, a detailed description as to how much postage is needed.
- What is unusual and/or unlike about project scope that the academic unit’s resources are insufficient.
- An explanation as to how the PI or research team will ensure that the postage is not used for any other activities.
- Any additional information that would strengthen the budget justification and further explain the unusual need or unlike circumstances for the postage.
Return to CAS Guidance start