On eligible projects, for other electronics (such as GPS and cameras) to qualify for a CAS exception both of the following statements must be true:
- The scope of work/research makes these items necessary to complete the research.
- These items will be used exclusively for this project.
If only one of these statements is true, then the expenditure does not qualify for a CAS exception.
If both of these statements are true, then a CAS exception may be allowable.
The budget justification must include all of the following:
- An explanation as to what role these electronic items will have in the project that makes them necessary to complete the scope of work.
- A detailed justification as to how many items will be needed, how many people will use them and for what purpose.
- An explanation as to how the PI or research team will track the usage of the GPS, camera or other electronics to ensure they are not used for other activities.
- Any additional information that would strengthen the budget justification and further explain the unusual need or unlike circumstances for the GPS, camera or other electronics.
Return to CAS Guidance start